Pages

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Vogue 1220 Donna Karan Shirtdress

The dress is finished and I absolutely love it. I think I have been a bit stuck on belted shift dresses lately so it was good to try something new (albeit still a belted dress!).


I did a couple of minor things differently to the pattern instructions;
  • my belt has a centre back seam and is also folded in half rather than being narrow hemmed round all the edges. It is still plenty wide enough for me. I didn't add the belt loops.
  • as I mentioned in my last post I had to change the angle of the front facing to give myself a bit more walking and sitting room at the hem of the skirt since I made it in a non stretch fabric. (mine has none, the pattern just says to use stretch broadcloth, crepe or linen). I had to change the corresponding hem facing piece too. If you think you need to do the same I recommend adding extra fabric at the centre front from the outset.
The dress is fairly easy to make. The only tricky part is attaching the skirt back to the upper back and side fronts as you have two inset corners to deal with. I suggest doing this in 3 separate seams, starting and finishing at the pivot points rather than in one seam per the instructions. This way you can turn the fabric over as necessary and make sure your stitching does not cross the marked dot and that the fabric isn't bunching underneath. However it helps to remember that the corner gets hidden under a pleat and then the belt so don't stress about getting it absolutely perfect.

Pictures speak louder than words so.....

The side seams, with pockets slant from front to back.

Pocket close up.

Finished dress without belt.

Finished dress with belt.


Closer front view.

Back view.

45 comments:

  1. Another winner!!! You look great in this dress and it's a lovely color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous and looks lovely!! :) Such a lovely colour too.
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total winner! I heart this dress and hope I have this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I was afraid of all the volume after seeing the pattern envelope, but the pleats and belt do a fantastic job of reining it all in. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, I love the color. I've been wanting to buy this pattern but I feel like it's more of an office dress than a casual dress so I don't know if it would be appropriate for my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just beautiful - and great to see such as sucessful example since I have this pattern in my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I am now looking for fabric in my stash to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous. You look fabulous in it. Way better than the pattern picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dress! I'm saving this pattern for the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress. it is a great style and color for you. this patern is in my sewing queue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is just beautiful! I love everything about it!And it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look wonderful! The dress is lovely. The colour really works well on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, looks great! I love shirt dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A win, win dress. Win on fit, win on colour and win on style (that's 3 wins I know).
    Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made a gorgeous dress! I love how sophisticated you look in this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfection! I thought this pattern looked promising and you verified it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! And this is a great color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great dreas and your looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your best yet. I think I will go ahead with the woven fabric, based on your results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it; it's just gorgeous!!! I saw Connie's version in Chicago. makes me want to attempt my own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress turned out beautifully and it looks great on you. I got a chance to see this pattern in person on the lovely Connie and it made me think twice about the pattern. I think I might have to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this is another terrific dress, perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did it again Allison. Another great dress with a perfect color for you. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You rule all the Vogue designer dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I may just have to buy this pattern now. Your version looks so good! Great colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you started another must-have sewing pattern craze in the sewing blog world. I want it too now that I have seen yours!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very chic. The color is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! Especially those angled side seams - fantastic. I can't wait to be able to make my own version!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just wonderful - the cranberry color is elegant and better than the original grey, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous! What a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look spectacular in this dress and I love your choice of color! This one is definitely on my list to sew:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the dress. It looks wonderful on you. I am making the same dress in similar fabric (different color) and I, too, did those fidgety pivot points as you did. Makes it so much easier.

    I saw this dress in a catalogue earlier this week -- $398!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We seem to be on the same road pattern wise! I just finished this dress - but haven't reviewed it yet. Glad to see it works in a nonstretch, as I had the dickens trying to find just the right fabric! As well, V 1108 is on my cutting table- mostly because I just loved it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, another fantastic dress!

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is great to see this dress made up with out strech because it increases the options for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this dress! It is a great style.

    ReplyDelete
  37. When I first saw this pattern, I just passed right over it. However, your dress makes me want to go out and buy it and make a dress for myself. LOVELY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You make such beautiful dresses, this is another example. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I missed this post! Anyway, it looks so pretty on you! Great color and fit. I bought a stretch brown silk for mine but don't know if I'll get around to it until the fall. Glad to hear you had no major issues.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This dress is gorgeous! The colour is a real eye-cathcer too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just gorgeous! Color, style, fit, they're all perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE. This pattern is high up on my list but no fabric has spoken to me about it yet. This is so great on you and your impeccable tailoring makes the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow this is stunning and the colour is perfect for you. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete