Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

DKNY wearability report & BurdaStyle 08/2011 116 Dress

Ok first a wearability report on DKNY Vogue 1221.  I was most worried that the pleats and front wrap would move out of place, but actually they were fine.  However I was very conscious that unless I kept amazing posture all night then anyone taller than me (which is frankly most people if I'm not wearing skyscraper heels) could see straight down the front as it gapes a bit there in my relatively stiff stretch cotton.

The fix for this - now that it is completed and I am not unpicking anything - is to add in a strip that attaches to the top inside neckline and the other end tucks under your bra band.  I've seen these in some evening wear, I have no idea what it's called and haven't done it yet so I can't show you.  Does anyone know what I am talking about?  (I've occasionally done the same thing in emergencies with a strip of twill tape and a safety pin.)

[Edited to add - Thank you to Katherine who calls it a decolette stay and has instructions here!  http://sewblooms.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/sewing-for-st-patrick.html]

I seem to live in dresses in the summer so it's no surprise that I have made another one - the cowl neck dress #116 from 08/2011 Burda magazine.



There is no way I would dream of wearing this without a belt as it is too shapeless, but with a belt it is ideal casual wear.  I've made this from - slightly controversially - something very synthetic.  I have no idea what it is, a lightweight stretch woven that reminds me of sports fabric that you might make shorts or hiking pants out of.  I have to say it was a dream to work with and is surprisingly really cool to wear.  It was slightly narrow so I had to add a centre back seam to fit the pattern pieces onto the fabric.  Super quick to make and easy to wear.

Everyone seems to be tying their belts like this now which is great for ones which don't have extra belt loops


Closer look at the cowl neckline and cut on sleeves


It always amuses me how many bloggers have shots like this with bits of nosy pets in them!

24 comments:

  1. The burda dress is lovely. It reminds me of Vogue 1250

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you're talking about. Have thought of using that on one of my cowl neck tops that is not "business appropriate" when I bend over.
    Lovely dress, reminds me of V1250 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it a decollete stay? I have instructions to make one here

    http://sewblooms.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/sewing-for-st-patrick.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that Burda dress looks great and I never would have considered it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the dress is shapeless without a belt and you wear this well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your latest dress and am forever grateful to the link to making a decolette stay !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that dress - sometimes the sports type fabrics are cooler as they wick, even though they feel more synthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous on you, the belt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cowl and cut of the sleeves. Great look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute and so you! Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful dress on you and yes, the belt makes it! I also have noted the pets in photos-they love to be in on the action.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The decolette stay is a neat trick! Thanks for the link.
    I've been thinking of making this dress too, but I fear it wouldn't work on my body type. Now, after seeing it on you, I'm certain it wouldn't, so I'm going to have to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Burda dress! It looks great with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely dress. Did you put the pockets in? I can't see them in the pics but I'm reading this on a tiny screen. Another one to add to my to-sew queue I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this in a woven! Once I figure out how to fit the pattern better I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops forgot to mention that I left off the pockets! I generally leave out side seam pockets unless they are in a fullish skirt otherwise they tend to stick out on me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this. Would this work with a casing elastic at the waist?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this dress! I saw it in Burda and wondered how it would look -- I think I need to make it. I love it when pets make an appearance in photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anther gret looking dress and thank you for that tip. A great one for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look fabulous as always. The belt takes to dress up 10 notches. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete