I know I say this a lot, but the fabric was another "oh my gosh I must buy it and figure out what to do with it later" purchases. It is a silk printed with a sunset and palm trees with an ombre effect. I actually decided to use the reverse side which is more matte and with more intense colours.
I know that silk is probably not the most practical choice for a cover up, but the reality is it won't get worn that often and it just felt like this was the perfect use for the print. I would like to make it again in the shorter version in a more practical cotton someday.
I made a couple of minor changes to the pattern. I raised the neckline around 2cm at the base of the V tapering to nothing at the shoulders. I know I'll be wearing it over swimwear so it doesn't really matter if it shows, but that's just my preference.
I also eliminated the centre front and back seams on the bodice, but getting a nice sharp point on the front neckline would probably be much easier with a centre seam so I will leave it in next time. I also didn't want any stitching showing round the neckline so have just secured the neck facing at the shoulder seams.
The waist seam of the bodice has a 2.5cm seam allowance to form the casing for the drawstring so unfortunately I lost some of the ombre effect and there is quite a difference between the colour of the bodice and skirt. It's not quite how I envisaged it, but I still like it.